Internet blockers (ISP blockers) are the "security" settings implemented by your internet supplier. They are designed in good intention to protect you from content deemed unsuitable. Unfortunately this often has a negative effect on your kodi experience. It can range from blocking the download of zip files, to affecting the quality of streams and everything in between. They also seem to work in peculiar ways, sometimes blocking contents and sometimes not. If you are having issues with anything streaming related this will ALWAYS be the first thing to check. Below is a guide to disabling the ISP blockers on the major internet providers in the UK. You should always still run separate personal firewalls/virus scanners on things like PC's and laptops for your protection.
With Virgin media the tool you want to disable is WEBSAFE. To do this please follow these steps.
1. Register or sign in at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia with your primary my virgin media username and password.
2. Click on MY APPS
3. Click on OVERVIEW
4. Turn both VIRUS SAFE and CHILDSAFE off.
On BT Broadband you must disable the SMART SETUP, to do this please follow these steps.
1. Open a web browser on any computer or device connected to your Hub and go to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub Manager.
2. Select Advanced Settings
3. Enter the admin password. If you haven't changed it the you will find the default password on your Hub settings card on the back of your Hub
4. Select Continue to Advanced Settings
5. Select Home Network > Smart Setup
6. Select No to disable Smart Setup & select Apply
On Sky Broadband you must disable Sky Shield, to do so please follow these steps.
1. Go to http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-shield/ if the webpage just takes you to the main sky page, just google "Sky Shield"
2. Hit the Sign In button
3. For some bizarre reason, Sky may forward you to the Sky.com home page, if it does, then reload http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-shield
4. You will now see a page that says "activate Sky Shield", this does NOT mean your sky shield is off
5. Click active Sky Shield
6. Sky Shield is likely set to "suitable for everyone" or "teens and older", to disable it set it to "suitable for adults only" and click save.
For EE broadband you will want to disable orange safeguard (content lock), please follow these instructions.
1. Log in or register your account at https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/login-dispatch/
2. Click DEVICE&USAGE in the menu and scroll down to content lock
3. Turn content lock off
For Talk Talk you will want to turn off Homesafe Security, to do this follow these instructions.
1. Log into your account at https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/login/
2. On the top tab highlight "my services"
3. Click "View Homesafe Settings"
4. From here to will want to disable homesafe AND Kids Safe
o The most common cause of buffering is the result of slow internet connection. This may be because of low internet speed or other users hogging the bandwidth in your house. Do you have lots of users in your home? Disconnect them all and try again
o The second and more logical reason is that you are using Wi-Fi, it doesn’t matter how fast your internet is…Wi-Fi as whole is slow and unreliable. it just is…. You should avoid using it when possible
o Directly connect to your router using an ethernet cable or to a powerline adaptor.
o If not possible, try moving the box closer to the router.
o Change your WI-FI channel. To avoid interference with nearby devices.